Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Shit Lit, and other stuff I like to read

My literary tastes have been more, shall we say, 'high brow' lately.  I'm pouring over Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring like it's the last book I'll ever read.  Which would be horribly unfortunate, because it really isn't my favorite.  I should say I'm mainly re-reading for research.  Fanfic writers need to get our canon straight, if we care about that sort of thing.  Most of the time I do.  Unless I decide to be blatantly disrespectful, which brings to mind an important point:

Gimli does not have a Scottish accent.

I hope that knowledge doesn't drive the Gimli fangirls to suicide, because we know how said girls love the accent.  (It does suit him, though.  Don't you think?)

I also have The Hobbit around here somewhere, so that will be next.

You're probably wondering what's 'low brow', if Tolkien is as snooty as I get (which is actually pretty snooty).  Well, I'd say Michael Crichton, Lisa Kleypas, Stephen King, maybe some odd Gothic novels thrown in.  And chick lit.  I LOVE finding decent chick lit.  It's honestly like an adventure.  I almost get the urge to pull on a pair of riding boots and a cape.  Digging through tall stacks of pink covers with snarky titles and even snarkier heroines - pure bliss, right?

To go with my current classy tastes:

Chopin's Raindrop Prelude Op. 28, No. 15 

No comments:

Post a Comment